These cards are intended to be played with the main Contenders set: planesculptors.net/set/contenders
Contender Planeswalkers start in your command zone and gain one loyalty there each turn (up to their printed loyalty). When they are cast, they enter the battlefield with that loyalty accumulated in the command zone. When a Contender would die, it goes back to the command zone with no counters. If it would otherwise change zones, it returns to the command zone with any loyalty counters it had on the battlefield.
Contenders in the Command Zone
* A Contender starts in your command zone. Unlike a commander, it does not dictate a color identity for your deck.
* Each upkeep while it is in the command zone, put a loyalty counter on the Contender planeswalker unless its loyalty meets or exceeds its printed loyalty.
* A Contender's loyalty in the command zone can be raised above its printed loyalty by effects such as Sway.
Contenders entering and leaving the battlefield
* When a planeswalker with Contender is cast from the command zone, it's starting loyalty is equal to the number of counters it had in the command zone.
* If a contender would be put into a graveyard anywhere, it returns to the command zone with no counters.
* If a contender would otherwise change zones (exile, hand, library, etc), it returns to the command zone with its remaining loyalty counters.
(Specific change logs available soon)
See the change log on the main set for more details: http://www.planesculptors.net/set/contenders/version-21
Change log will be updated soon. Raw changes:
Added Volshe Aoron of Voda. Aoron is a value-oriented Contender with a light tribal reward. I'm not totally confident that Merfolk wants to be this value-oriented (and not tempo-oriented) but these abilities felt good for his color identity.
Golmorn, Planar Judge now Golmorn, Planar Judge. With Golmorn (and Brillia), I'm trying a new on-the-battlefield passive ability instead of an emblem. This works better with the set's focus on playing PWs repeatedly and should be more interactive. For Golmorn, it should also be a buff to his power level.
See also the Main Set Version 18 notes
This is the first version of Contenders (Planeswalkers) published on PlaneSculptors.net, but the 17th version of the overall set. The Contender planeswalkers were introduced in version 16.